Architectural body of Jasna Gora Sanctuary is surrounded with the line of fortress shafts - their construction was initiated by King Sigismund III Vasa in 17th century.
The statue of Fr. Augustyn Kordecki, prior of Jasna Gora, was erected in 1859 on the ramparts of the monastery, near St. James Bastion. Stand on Holy Trinity, also known as the Chicago Polonia Bastion is a statue of John Paul II, dedicated in 1999.
Former fortress moat serves now as the monastery park that surrounds three parts of the shafts. Stations of the Cross built according to the project of Stefan Szyller were placed there in the beginning of the 20th century.
The eastern part of the shaft contains the outside altar, called "The Great Top”. The pilgrimage devotions are celebrated here during the pilgrimage season.
Want to know more? Order the guide!
+48 34 365 38 88